I was born in Washington, DC but have lived in England all my adult life, and now have dual citizenship (but kept the American accent). I have a BA in English from Oberlin College, Ohio, and an MA in creative writing from the University of East Anglia, Norwich, England. I live in London with my English husband and son. Before turning to writing full-time, I was a reference book editor for several years. I have written 7 novels. My second novel, Girl with a Pearl Earring, won the Barnes and Noble Discover Award, sold 4 million copies worldwide, and was made into a film starring Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson.
Answers to 23 Questions No One Ever Asks Me
(Why 23? See no.7)
1. I have long ears.
2. My favorite color is the blue used in Renaissance paintings.
3. I love cathedrals. I may write about one some day.
4. In another life I would have become a designer of environmentally-friendly packaging.
5. I am left-handed.
6. My math SAT score was markedly higher than my English score.
7. I have a thing about prime numbers. I may write about them some day.
8. Growing up I went to a Quaker summer camp, and I still occasionally go to Quaker Meeting.
9. I used to play the clarinet.
10. I am happier when there is a cat in my life.
11. I always grit my teeth when I pet cats.
12. My father was a photographer for The Washington Post.
13. I take terrible photographs.
14. Granny Smith apples and sometimes yoghurt can make the skin under my eyes feel sweaty.
15. I talk to myself while walking down the street.
16. As a child I was President of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Club at our local library.
17. Some Like It Hot is the one movie guaranteed to make me laugh.
18. I only pretend to like tomatoes.
19. October is my favorite month. It is also my birthday month. The two are not related.
20. I ran a marathon even though I hate running.
21. I briefly learned how to solve a Rubik’s cube.
22. If I were to open a restaurant, it would be a tea and cake shop.
23. I stole the idea for this list from Joanne Harris’s website. Thanks, Joanne!